Welcome! If you enjoy this blog, you can "follow" it by clicking on "Join this site" in the sidebar to the right. I love comments!

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Wrapped in a grandmother's love

Week 2 of my photography class has me focusing on an area I find challenging: shooting mid-day in full-sun.

I usually like to shoot in the open shade, where I don't have to deal with "hot spots" of light on my subject or the background, or harsh shadows under the eyes and nose, etc. One of the things I love about shooting in the open shade is how wonderfully reflective the eyes can look. But, shooting in the open shade usually means I miss out on gorgeous light.

So, with this challenge in mind, off we went on Mother's Day for a little photo shoot.

Many of you know that my mom makes beautiful quilts - or if you didn't know before, you know now after seeing my recent post on the PJ quilts she made. Awhile back, Mom gave me a purple quilt she knew I admired. She knows all too well my love for the colour purple! (This is the lady who had to make me a purple birthday cake in our motor home for my fourth birthday while on vacation in British Columbia. She is also the owner of the most magnificent purple dress that I coveted as a child. I coveted it so much, in fact, that I asked her to bequeath it to me in her will! Can you say 'morbid'?!)

Anyway, since I wouldn't be with my mom on Mother's Day, I thought of a way to honour her: I wrapped my sweet daughter in my beloved purple quilt.

Wrapped in a grandmother's love (IMG_9165 final)

For some families, treasures consist of limoges china, fancy crystal or silver tea sets. While we do not have such riches, we do have a wealth of beautiful creations by our mom in the form of handmade gifts: quilts, attic dolls, embroidered pillowcases and cross-stitched items. These are our treasures that will become heirlooms as we proudly hand them down to our children and grandchildren with stories of the loving and creative woman who made them.

IMG_9232 final
Thank you, Mom, for these treasures. But most of all, thank you for the greatest treasure of all: you!

No comments: